Monday, February 24, 2014

Why Can't We Be Friends?

If you are anything like me, one of the biggest challenges through all of this has been; How do I  keep my friendships going when I am the only person without children? How do I have dinner with my friend who is seven months pregnant without wanting to cry and/or throw up? How do I feign excitement for my friend who announces that she is pregnant for the first time, even when "It was definitely not something they wanted right now."
My tactic has been avoidance. Avoidance at all costs. You want to have dinner? Oh sorry, already have plans. You are having a birthday party with a group of people that are pregnant and/or have children? No thanks! Would rather put my head through a wall.
I know that this isn't exactly healthy or mature, but it's the only way I know how to deal. There is a level of self-preservation that is necessary in my opinion- but maybe the execution needs a little work.
Would love to know your thoughts. How do you keep your friendships while also being good to yourself and honoring your own needs?

- Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment