Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Let the Good Times Roll

In preparation for the onslaught of injectable medications, early morning monitoring hours, sober life and just general anxiety that is the IVF process,  I have been living the past few weeks as if I am about to go to the electric chair. Bottomless glasses of wine, all the shellfish I can eat, iced coffee bonanzas, unpasteurized cheese out the wazoo, late nights, gin and tonics. The only thing I have not taken part in is aggressive exercise. Because let's be honest, that just isn't fun. In fact, the only thing I love about being a "high risk" pregnancy person is the fact that I CAN'T exercise.  It's like, totally against doctor's orders. Although I have been lamenting the caffeine free days ahead, it occurred to me that maybe I need to alter my outlook on all of this. Instead of focusing on all the "dont's" that are about to inundate my life (let's hope), perhaps it would behoove me to put energy towards the positives. Like, all this "stuff", medications and otherwise, might actually work (again, let's hope). When you are about to jump on the IVF train or just going the old- fashioned route and "trying" again after multiple pregnancy losses, it's hard not to feel as though you are in the penalty box or the fetal police is on your tail. You see your other pregnant friends, those who aren't "high risk" who can adopt a much more laissez-faire attitude about the whole in utero thing, that they can actually have a glass of wine without anxiety. Bonkers! What is that like?
Well, I guess I will never know. Just like I won't know how this will turn out. The one thing I do know with full certainty is that should all of this result in a healthy full- term pregnancy and healthy baby, then it is all worth it.
Now pass the rosé!

- Jennifer

PS- Some of you have inquired about Kira's whereabouts. Well, the lucky and lovely Kira is abroad visiting family but will be back very soon. In the meantime, I hate to say it but you're stuck with me.

1 comment: